Are you thinking about enrolling your children in swim lessons? Here are ten reasons why you should think about registering your child for swim lessons!
- SWIM LESSONS INCREASE YOUR CHILD'S SAFETY AROUND WATER
- By signing your child up for swim lessons you could potentially be saving your child’s life. With drowning being the second highest cause of death in children under the age of 14, swim lessons can teach your child the necessary skills to have when in water and how to be safe when in and out of the water.
- EARLY SWIM LESSONS BUILD A STRONG FOUNDATION FOR LATER IN LIFE
- When your child learns how to swim they are learning a lifelong skill that they will use through their adulthood. There will always be a pool, the ocean, or some type of body of water where ever your child goes. Teaching them to swim will help them feel comfortable around water throughout their lifetime.
- SWIM LESSONS HELP FAMILIARIZE YOUR CHILD WITH THE WATER
- A person, who doesn’t know how to swim, often finds most bodies of water as scary rather than feel secure and confident. In swim lessons at the YMCA, children learn that the water can also be fun as long as you stay safe. They will learn how to respect the water by learning different skills and also their limitations.
- TO GIVE YOURSELF PEACE AT MIND
- Once your child is learning how to swim, as a parent you are able to feel confident about your child’s safety while they are in and around the water. Although you still must not leave your child unattended in the pool area, your child being able to confidently swim lets you breathe a bit easier while they are playing.
- HELP BOOST THEIR CONFIDENCE
- When a child is able to conquer a task they were learning they feel more confident to attempt and conquer another new task. The same happens with swimming when your child conquers each level and new skill. Also by knowing how to swim, your child will feel confident about playing in the pool.
- SWIMMING IS FUN
- Playing in the pool is a ball of fun when your child knows how to swim. They will splash and laugh the whole time together while playing, racing and imagining. If your child does not know how to swim, they may not be inclined to put themselves out there and have as much fun as other children when at the pool.
- SWIMMING IS AN ACTIVITY THE FAMILY CAN DO TOGETHER
- Playing in the pool isn’t just fun for your child to do themselves, but also a fun activity for you to do as a family. Sometimes family bonding can feel forced or and activity geared around the youngest child’s age. Swimming is a family activity that everyone can enjoy no matter what age.
- SWIM LESSONS HELP BUILD COORDINATION SKILL
- It is never too early to start working on your child’s coordination skills. By knowing how to swim well, your child is also learning a fun way to exercise. They may not need to exercise now but as they grow up and want to; they will be prepared to be able to use their swimming abilities as a fun cardiac exercise.
- SWIMMING HELPS CHILDREN STAY ACTIVE
- During the swim lessons and after they know how to safely swim your child will be able to swim whenever they want while at the pool. This gives your child to opportunity to stay active and moving rather than sitting in front a TV.
- POTENTIAL FOR A FUTURE SPORT AND FOR THE SOCIAL ASPECT
- Your child may not be the fastest swimmer but joining a swim team once school age is a great way to meet friends and to enjoy a sport they have known to do since they first started swim lessons. Swimming for your school or YMCA team allows a social aspect where your child will interact with different children who also enjoy swimming while staying active.
For more information to sign your child up for swim lessons, visit: www.gmvymca.org/swim-lessons